EPA updates Safer Chemical Ingredients List (SCIL)
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is adding 10 chemicals to the Safer Chemicals Ingredients List (SCIL). The SCIL is a living list of chemicals that EPA’s Safer Choice program has evaluated and determined meet the Safer Choice criteria.
On 17 July 2023, The Environmental Protection Agency released a period of public comment to draft guidance towards expanding the list of chemicals registered under the Design for the Environment (DfE) and Safer Choice programs.
The result of the public comment period led to 10 new chemicals being added:
- CAS RN 68334-28-1, Fats and Glyceridic oils, vegetable, hydrogenatedCAS RN 1406-66-2, Tocopherols
- CAS RN 247074-09-5, Sulfuric acid, dimethyl ester, compd. with .alpha.,.alpha.',.alpha.'',.alpha.'''-[1,6-hexanediylbis(nitrilodi-2,1-ethanediyl)]tetrakis[.omega.-hydroxypoly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyl)]
- CAS RN 1573124-58-9, Glycolipids, sophorose-contg., Candida bombicola-fermented, from D-glucose and mahua Madhuca longifolia fats and glyceridic oils
- CAS RN 152442-40-5, 1,4-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, 1,4-dimethyl ester, polymer with 1,2-ethanediol, .alpha.-hydro-.omega.-hydroxypoly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyl) and 1,2-propanediol, ester with .alpha.-methyl-.omega.-hydroxypoly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyl)
- 37321-62-3, Dodecanoic acid, ester with 1,2-propanediol
- 924-88-9, Diisopropyl succinate
- 7491-02-3, Diisopropyl sebacate
- 2163-42-0, Methyl propanediol
With this update, there are now a total of 1,071 chemicals on the SCIL, all which are among the safest for their functional use.
The SCIL’s purpose is to provide increased transparency in safer chemistry, through helping companies find safer chemical alternatives, alongside promoting sustainability and environmental justice.