Who we are
Science Group is an AIM listed Group that provides independent advisory and advanced product development services focused on science and technology initiatives. We operate at the cutting edge of science and innovation developments supporting our clients under specialist brands which include Sagentia and TSG. We are an acquisitive organisation with our most recent acquisition of Frontier adding expertise in the Digital Radio and IOT space. Our growth strategy has been effected from cash generated by our profitable businesses and has resulted in Group revenue doubling in 3 years.
We have a global reach, with a multinational and multicultural workforce spanning Europe, North America and Asia with offices and companies across these continents. Our numerous scientists, engineers, regulatory advisors and market experts are supported by the Group’s streamlined central support functions.
The Group’s success is driven by our world class employees; this means that in growing our business we look for exceptional, hard-working and hands-on employees that will flourish in a dynamic and stimulating environment.
In this role, you shall work closely with senior management and the consultants to support them in understanding the performance of the business and interpret the financial results and KPIs to maximize cash and profitability, including recommending and subsequently implementing changes to the operations. You shall use your excellent management skills coupled with a thorough knowledge of finance and commercial principles to utilize, prepare and analyze operational and financial reports and forecasts for the division.
This is a hands on role and you shall be in the detail to understand the results, ensuring their accuracy and explain these results to senior management. Following direction from the Division Finance Manager and other senior team members, you shall also help transition operational and finance processes to drive efficiencies and help align the business with the wider Group.
Reporting to the Division Finance Manager (UK based) and TSG Americas Managing Director, you have direct line management responsibility for a number of team members, and will be expected to direct, lead and most importantly motivate the team to deliver against agreed goals and targets.
We are looking for someone on a full-time basis, or part-time 4 days per week. This role is based in Washington DC but will involve some travel to California. You must have experience of working in a fast-paced environment, be driven to very high standards of accuracy and are able to lead and manage those within the team in DC and California. You must be an excellent communicator and team manager and be able to provide evidence of seeking improvements in all aspects of your responsibilities.
• Work closely with the team to deliver accurate operational and financial reporting, interpret the results and recommend improvements;
• Manage the credit control process with clients and consultants to ensure the 600+ clients stay within their agreed credit structures;
• Use the operational reports to manage the business, reviewing performance with the consultants/team leaders;
• Produce weekly reports to chart the progress of the business
• Produce the monthly financials by ensuring all revenue and accrual journal entries are posted, and map local financials to the group format.
• Work closely with the Division Managing Director and Division Finance Manager to provide insight and interpretation of the reports and results and KPIs, providing decision support in all aspects of the business;
• Manage, motivate and train the local finance team (3 direct reports) to ensure the MD and consultants receive exceptional finance customer service;
• Provide monthly management accounts, ensuring all financial information is accurate and consistent and reported within the Group timetable;
Experience & qualifications
• Effective communicator, able to engage and explain results to business personnel from different perspectives
• Strong team player and team leader with excellent demonstrable team management skills
• Excellent commercial mind-set with ability to communicate complex issues in simple language
• Capable of working effectively and efficiently under pressure and between Pacific and European time zones
• An analytical approach to resolving problems and finding effective solutions
• Excellent to advanced skills with Microsoft Excel.
• Qualified accountant (CPA or equivalent by commercial experience)
• Experience of working in a billed hours/services business environment would be advantageous
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.