US EPA seeks public comment on proposed changes to Safer Choice Standard
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced that it is seeking public comment on a document proposing several changes to EPA’s Safer Choice Standard. Written comments must be received before January 16, 2024. In addition, the Agency will host a webinar on December 19, 2023 (2.00 PM EST) to provide additional information on modifications to the Standard. Read on to learn more, as well as the links to comment and register for the webinar.
Following a listening session webinar where the EPA gathered stakeholder feedback on potential expansions of the Safer Choice and Design for the Environment (DfE) programs into new product categories, the Agency has announced that it is seeking public comment on a document proposing several changes to the Safer Choice Standard.
The Safer Choice Standard promotes safer product design and green chemistry. It outlines specific requirements that chemical products and their ingredients must meet to qualify for EPA’s Safer Choice label or the DfE logo.
The EPA asserts that the proposed updates to the Safer Choice Standard aim to enhance the program’s transparency, safety and sustainability across both domestic and commercial products.
EPA’s proposed updates to the Standard include:
- New certification for cleaning service providers that use Safer Choice and DfE certified products to help protect workers that use cleaning products all day, as well as the people who live or work in the spaces they clean
- Strengthening sustainable packaging requirements in response to consumer demand and innovations in packaging materials and technologies
- Expanded criteria specific to pet care products to ensure such products use only the safest possible ingredients for both humans and pets
- Clarifying language on EPA’s process for entering product classes and exiting those that pose unexpected risks despite safer chemistry
- Clarifying language regarding the use of data from New Approach Methodologies during Safer Choice chemical review
- New, optional energy efficiency or use reduction criteria to encourage companies to reduce water use and carbon-based energy consumption
- Updated criteria for wipe products to help reduce damage to wastewater treatment systems
- Potential creation of a new alternate logo, similar to the Fragrance-Free logo, to distinguish products used outdoors that meet additional EPA criteria for environmental safety
Follow the link to learn more about the modifications to the Safer Choice Standard.
Written comments can be submitted through www.regulations.gov, docket identification (ID) number EPA–HQ–OPPT–2023–0520. The deadline is January 16, 2024.
The HCPA is coordinating an industry response. If you would like your company’s comment to be incorporated into HCPA’s response, please send comments directly to HCPA before December 21, 2023 at the following email [email protected].
You can also register here for EPA’s webinar providing additional information on the modifications to the Standard. The webinar will be held on December 19, 2023 at 2.00 PM (EST).
TSG Consulting can help
If you need support in submitting public comment, TSG Consulting can help you through:
- Preparing guidance on Safer Choice public comment requirements
- Preparing company public comments
- Assisting with the submissions
If you are interested in this service, please do not hesitate to reach out to TSG at [email protected].